Foil Pack Sausages and Peppers (low carb, keto)
Share this now!
Seriously do it.
One can never have too many “set it and forget it” low carb meals like this one in their repertoire. Although I do love spending time in the kitchen and cooking up extravagant low carb dinners. There are days when you just need a break, or are busy and need something that you can just throw in the oven while you go about your to do list.
Unfortunately for anyone trying to stick to a lower carb diet, there are not many ready made meals out there to lean on, and cooking keto friendly food often means doing everything yourself.
Well, grab a baking sheet, some foil, and pull those sausages out of the freezer to make yourself this low carb foil pack sausage and peppers!
If you can spare ten minutes of prep time to get this in the oven, you will be freed up to go about your busy day, knowing that dinner is taken care of.
Reverse Braised Sausages
Rather than cooking these sausages quickly over a high heat pan or grill, these sausages are reverse braised in the oven over a longer period of time.
Similar to a reverse sear, this method works backwards through the braising process.
The sausages and vegetables are first braised and steamed in the oven (thanks to the properly sealed foil pack) until they are wonderfully tender, then the cover is removed and they are returned to a hot oven to brown before serving.
Benefits of Reverse Braised Sausages
The first benefit of a reverse braise is convenience. Once I get the foil pack assembled and in the oven, my work is pretty much finished. I am free to go off and complete other tasks, or just sit in front of the TV and relax, dinner is underway.
But the real benefit is what this does to the sausages.
Inside the pack as the heat builds, everything begins to steam as the sausages, as well as the onions, peppers, and crushed tomatoes release water and juices.
As the cooking continues all the juices and drippings mingle with the crushed tomatoes to create a wonderfully flavourful tomato gravy for the sausages to cook and simmer in.
This steaming and simmering makes the meat incredibly soft and tender.
You will see what I mean when you take your first bite, unlike any sausages you’ve had before.
By far my favourite way to cook sausages of any variety. I just love when a recipe is both convenient and delicious.
Pssst! Hey you!.. Yah you with the face!!
Why haven’t you joined our gang yet? You don’t like getting new and exciting low carb recipes sent to you?
How to Make a Foil Pack for Oven Braising Sausages
The foil pack is probably the most important part of this recipe. If it is not sealed well, then all the steam will escape and the sausages could actually dry out and burn to the inside.
If the corners or bottom of the foil rip or crack, all the liquid will drain out onto the sheet pan, you will lose your sauce, and again might even burn your sausages. It is also annoying to scrub those baking sheets clean after.
So, to make a strong foil pack for sausages or any other recipe:
- Begin by laying out 2 sheets of foil on a baking sheet that are both slightly longer than the baking sheet you are using. The double bottom layer will help prevent leaking and tearing.
- Place the contents of your foil pack, in this case the tomatoes, onions, pepper and sausage, ‘neatly’ in the center of the double layer of foil, leaving some space from the edge on all sides.
- Place another layer of foil over top of everything, and crease, crimp, and fold the top and bottom layers of foil together. Carefully roll the longer sides towards the middle to create a seal. It won’t be a perfect seal but it’s good enough.
- Take your time and work slow to avoid ripping the foil. It’s one of like 3 steps to foil pack recipes so you are in no hurry.
- Your foil pack is now ready for the oven! I keep the baking sheet underneath just in case it does leak. And careful when opening the foil pack, the steam is hot!!!!
What Types of Sausages Can Be Reverse Braised?
Like mentioned above, this is my absolute favourite method for cooking any type of sausage. Even frozen solid sausages can be cooked using this method and the results will be perfect every time.
While this keto foil pack sausage and pepper recipe calls for Italian sausages, you can certainly cook any type of sausage you prefer using this technique.
Chorizo, brats, Oktoberfest, honey garlic sausages, English bangers, they all turn out very well using this oven braising method.
What Types of Peppers for Sausage and Peppers?
The simplest choice here is regular bell peppers as they are easy to come by at any grocer.
But any type of peppers you desire can be used for this recipe. I use whatever I have on hand, and since I love and grow many different peppers, I generally have a lot on hand.
For this recipe I commonly use half red bell pepper, and the other half is a mix of whatever I got, Italian long hots, Cubanelle, Pimentos, Jalapenos, and any even Scotch bonnets can be used if you like it spicy!
Sweet bell pepper makes a nice base, but adding in other types of peppers makes the flavour so complex and unique I highly recommend trying them out.
Change up the Veggies
Peppers and onions were chosen for this recipe because those pair very well with Italian sausages. But you can use any vegetables you like, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, onions, peppers, asparagus, whatever you prefer with your chosen sausage!
Switching out the vegetables for your favourite low carb veggie is a great way to add variety to this foil pack dinner.
What to Serve with Keto Sausage and Peppers
This recipe is something I tend to make as a full meal. It’s filling and delicious enough that I don’t need anything to serve alongside it.
However, if that’s not your style, in keeping with the quick and convenient theme, this recipe pairs very well with a simple salad like a caesar salad, garden salad, or a coleslaw.
Other options are cauliflower rice or my oven roasted cauliflower mash. You’ve got the oven on anyways!
Keto Recipes I think You'll Like
A Low Carb Foil Pack Dinner and Meal Prep Recipe
Depending on the sausages used, a serving of this keto meal, works out to 7-8g of net carbs per serving!
Sausages usually come by the pound with 4-5 sausages per pound. Generally I used 2 pounds of sausage for this recipe which makes 5-6 servings (perfect for a weeks worth of low carb meal prep).
And trust me, this is a filling recipe with per serving totals of:
549 Calories | 42.5g of fat | 9.6g total carbs | 31g of protein
As an added bonus this recipe also contains plenty of electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium) as well as a healthy dose of vitamin A and Vitamin C!
**As always nutritional values are approximate, and based on the ingredients I used in developing this recipe, for the most accurate information always enter your specific ingredients into a recipe calculator such as the one provided by Cronometer **
How to Make Oven Braised Foil Pack Keto Sausage and Peppers
Foil Pack Keto Sausage and Peppers
- Cooking foil
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- 2 pounds Italian sausage fresh or frozen
- 1 medium onion halved, and sliced
- 2 large bell peppers or other pepper of choice
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes canned
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (optional) grated for topping
- parsley garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F [190°C]
Make the foil pack
- To make a sturdy foil pack, layout 2 equal sized sheet of foil that are longer than the baking sheet.
- Start by adding the chopped onions, pepper, and garlic to the center of the foil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Pour crushed tomatoes over the vegetables and place the sausage on top of everything in a row.
- Place another piece of foil overtop. Crimp, fold, and roll the top and bottom layers of foil together to create a seal. Carefully roll the sides in tight to create a pack.
- Keeping the baking sheet under the pack, cook in a 375°F [190°C] oven for 1-1½ up to 1¾ of an hour.
- Carefully remove the top layer of foil, keeping hand clear of the very hot steam, and return the uncovered pack to the oven at 375-400°F [190-205°C] for 15-20 minutes or until the tops of the sausage begins to brown and blister.
- Serve topped with freshly grated mozzarella cheese and chopped parsley.
Take a second to share if you liked this recipe:
Looking for a different recipe?
Time To Dive In!
Look at that, dinner is on the table, and you had a moment to catch your breath too. It feels good to be able to put something hassle free and keto friendly on the my dinner table. And hopefully this recipe helped you accomplish that as well!
If you would like to see more hands free keto recipes like this on, let me know in the comments down below! I’d love to hear from you!